The Parish Union of Helsinki has six cemeteries, in Hietaniemi, Malmi, Honkanummi, Maunula, Kulosaari, and Östersundom. In addition,
urns can be interred in the urn vault of the Kallio church. There is also a nondenominational area for graves in the vicinity of the Honkanummi cemetery.
Hietaniemi cemetery in the center of Helsinki was established in 1929 and has since been extended several times.
Many notable people from Finnish art and culture history are buried in Hietaniemi cemetery.
More information about Hietaniemi cemetery (in Finnish)
The forrest cemetery of Honkanummi is located on the bank of the ancient Ancylys lake, 18 km from the center of Helsinki.
The cemetery was inaugurated on the 10th of March 1951 and the first burial took place in January of 1957.
The chapel located on Honkanummi cemetary, designed by professor Erik Bryggman, is one of the most beautiful sacred buildings in Helsinki.
The building contains two separate chapels. The joining crematorium was built in 1991 in co-operation with the Vantaa parish union.
More information about Honkanummi cemetary (in Finnish)
At the start of the last century the villa community of Kulosaari parish started actively promoting for a cemetary to be established in the Iso-Pässi island.
Since the island was renamed as Leposaari (Rest Island) and the cemetary established there was inaugurated in 1925. The atmospheric chapel was designed by Armas Lindgren in 1927.
In the begining the burial plots were given off to everyone who wanted to be buried in Leposaari. Nowadays due to the small size due to the small size of the cemetery
The Kulosaari cemetery is reserved primarily for parish members living in Kulosaari.
More information about Kulosaari cemetary (in Finnish)
Malmi cemetary is the biggest cemetary in Finland with 2000 burials annually.
In 1888 local parish decided to establish a new cemetary to Malmi rural municipality on land owned by the crown formerly used by the military.
The cemetary was inaugurated on the 10th of November 1894.
Based on the designs of architect Selin A. Lindquist a chapel complex was built in 1921-23.
At the moment the complex consists of three separate chapels: The Large Chapel, The Eastern and The Western Chapels.
More information about Malmi cemetary (in Finnish)
Maunula urn grove
Maunula urn groves, inaugurated in 1966, is the first cemetary in Finland focused solely for urn burials.
The 8 hectares that now constitutes Maunula urn grove was previously in agricultural use. The beautifull Mätäpuro stream wraps around
part of the urn groves perimeter. At the moment Maunula urn grove contains ca 11 000 graves.
The original plans were made by architect Erk Sommerschueldin. The blocks were designed in regular sections, rows of graves were designed to be straight
as were the low hedges bordering them. Blocks 1, 2 and 21-41 are executed according to these plans.
The first memorial grove was designed by landscape architect Maj-Lis Rosenbröijes in 1983. The memorial grove (2A)
is situated on the edge of the central forest besides a big cross. The memorial grove with a beautiful water feature offers a place to sit in peace.
More information about Maunula urn grove (in Finnish)
The idyllic and traditional Östersundom cemetary is located 20 kilometers from the center of Helsinki.
The exact year when the cemetary was established is unknown, but the area has been used for burials since the 18th century.
Östersundom cemetary was mapped in 1933 and the area was designed by architect Bertel Jung. Architect office Pekka Pitkänen designed the expansion finished in 1974.
The latest addition to the Östersundom cemetary is the urn and memorial grove finished in 2012 designed by designer horticulturist Jarmo Väisänen.
The 7,1 hectares of Örstersundom cemetary is fully utilised. The cemetary is devided betweem the so called old area, expancion area and the urn and memorial grove.
More information about Östersundom cemetary (in Finnish)
Kallion church urn vault
An urn vault was built under the Kallio church in 1990. This continues the old Christian tradition of building crypts under the churches,
which was discontinued with the emergence of the practice of using cemeteries in the 18th century. In addition to places for 3,000 urns,
the vault also has a rock tomb, where ashes can be placed after or instead of urn storage. The altarpiece of the urn vault is a glass work by artist,
Jaakko Somersalo: Ylösnousemus (Resurrection), from 1958.
A memorial plaque for all those buried in the church is situated on the wall of the church, and people can place flowers under it or light a candle.
More information about Kallion church urn vault (in Finnish)
Nondenominational grave area
In 2007 the north end of Honkanummi cemetary was introduced as a nondenominational cemetary. It is used by Helsinki and Vantaa conrigations.
More information about the nondenominational cemetary (in Finnish)